Sunday, November 9, 2014

Never stop learning

This week having a look to some food blog projects on the internet and doing some research, I decided to happily go back to books and study evenings. Time for studying  DIY Food Photography.
I got by mail my new  DSLR camera over a week ago, the first one in many years, so it´s a great moment to combine the best of both worlds: photos and baking!. I have a pretty good  base of
photography knowledge and I think a bit of polishing, practice and some basics on food styling will create wonders in my plates.

The only possible direction is up. I'll keep you up to date about  my  learning process and all the tips and  tricks that could make of your food pictures something fantastic!


This week´s  first photo try is  a recipe of Scottish Shortbread Biscuits that I learned during my times of living in Scotland. I lived in Glasgow 10 years ago and, as a good sweet tooth I am, scottish shortbread  was my biggest crave, so I definitely had to learn to make it. This is quick and simple.  Do you want to give it a twist? replace water with orange juice. The result is amazing!




Scottish Shorbread Biscuits

350 gr of all-purpose flour
100 gr of sugar
200 gr of room-temperature butter
50 gr of cornstarch
4 - 6 tablespoons of water (or fresh orange juice)







In a separate dish mix cornstarch and flour. Put aside. Integrate sugar and butter with an electric mixer at high speed until it gets fluffy and soft. add flour-cornstarch   gradually and mix it with your hand, add bit by bit the water or juice (you might not need to add all the tablespoons, gradually add  the liquid until you feel the dough is not dry and crumbly anymore).








Knead the dough until it is soft, it doesn´t stick to your hands and it´s easy  to handle. If it´s too soft, you can wrap it in plastic and settle it in the fridge for 20 minutes.



Preheat oven at 175 C. Roll flat the dough ball  to make a 1/3 of an inch (1 cm) thick disk, and using a sharp knife cut squares and rectangles to form the biscuits. You can also use a round cookie cutter to make round biscuits, and the size is up to you.  It is all your choice.



Important: Poke your biscuits with a fork to avoid bubbles when they are getting baked. And they look cute too ;)  ;)

Bake for 20 min max. I always underbake my biscuits and cookies by removing them from the oven 2-3 minutes before recipe indications. And in this link I explain why.

Wait for your biscuits to cool down to sprinkle them with confectioner sugar. Final touch.



  Have fun!

No comments: