Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Fruity Birthday

Fruity Birthday

 Now that I´m starting this blog, a lot of material from previous years has accumulated in my photo albums and my cooking books, so, you´ll see many of my past glories posted during this week. This picture is of a cake I made for a good friend´s summer birthday a couple of years ago. She specifically said "Fruits", so fruits she had. Delicious. And the cake itself is nowadays my signature Yellow Vanilla Cake recipe:it uses oil instead of butter, which makes it super soft and moist.  Decoration was simply placing nicely on top some fresh looking fruit slices (choose your favorite ones) and nuts. A lot of nuts.  Filling? Vanilla flavored whipped cream and more fresh strawberries. Nice. 


Yellow Vanilla Cake

In large mixing bowl, combine and mix:
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 2/3 C. Sugar
1 t. Salt
3 1/2 t. Baking Powder

Beat in the mixer at medium speed: 
 1 C. Oil
1  C. Milk
1/2 C Heavy cream

Add slowly while still beating:
3 Eggs one by one
1 t. Vanilla

Mix all wet ingredients at high speed for 10 minutes.


Add gradually the dry ingredients and  integrate  it all mixing it by hand until it becomes  smooth. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 45-60 Minutes.

Cake ready! Is really nice looking. Personally I dont like to let my cakes cool down completely inside the cake pan. I heard somewhere that they shrink and I want it as fluffy as could be, so I recommend you to remove the cake pan after 5-10 min or so, then let it cool it down completely in the rack. Whe cake is cool, it is time for leveling with the knife (you want a flat and smoth surface) and then turning it over to get the best surface up for decorating.

There it is. This cake is very firm, but still very light  and fluffy because OIL is much lighter than BUTTER, so it will not harden if you storage it in the fridge.

No comments: